James Hill is the Director of Construction at FaverGray and has been with the company for five and a half years. Hill, who most recently served as Senior Superintendent for FaverGray, has more than 37 years of field experience in multi-family housing, student housing, and commercial construction. As Director of Construction, Hill is responsible for field staffing with oversight and support for his staff to ensure that each project has the resources and information to build the projects safely, on time, and with quality.
1. Tell us a little about yourself and how you become interested in construction.
My dad was a construction superintendent and Project Manager…so I would say it is a family tradition! I started at an early age and learned everything I could in the industry & am still learning. Always enjoyed the challenge and being able to look at a finished product that you know you had a hand in building.
2. How long have you worked at FaverGray and what does your job entail?
5 1/2 years! As Director of Construction, I am able to assist on all projects and help the teams be successful.
3. Tell us about your favorite project with FaverGray.
My favorite project was College Park in Gainesville, FL…Though it was one of the most challenging projects, it was also one of the most rewarding!
4. What advice would you give to someone interested in a career in construction?
Our industry is a rewarding one if you put the time in and learn all you can. Nothing is more satisfying especially when you can look back and see the changes you were involved in to create a beautiful project that someone will call home!
5. What is the best career lesson that you have learned so far?
Don’t be afraid to make decisions and learn from your mistakes! A positive attitude will take you further than you can imagine!!!
6. What do you enjoy doing in your free time?
Playing rhythm guitar and singing.
7. Is there anything else that you’d like to share?
Never give up and always be ready to take on the next challenge!